So you are wondering how to get a custom URL for your business on Facebook like the big companies out there. Facebook.com/REI Facebook.com/thenorthface. Well it is possible, Facebook calls this a username. Do make sure you type the name correctly as this is a permanent change and you can never change it again once you set it once.
Facebook lists the following restrictions:
- Your must have 25 people that like your company page.
- Create a username that is as close as possible to your public figure or business name (e.g. AshtonKutcher, PizzaHut).
- If you own the rights to a given name, make it your username so that others cannot obtain it.
- Usernames can only contain alphanumeric characters (A-Z, 0-9) or a period (".").
- Choose a username you will be happy with for the long term. Usernames are not transferable.
- Your username must adhere to Facebooks Statement of Rights and Responsibilities.
To set your custom URL:
- You need to be logged into your Facebook account.
- Go to: http://www.facebook.com/username/
- Select the page or account from the pulldown menu
- Type the name you would like in the box to the right and click Check Availability
- You will be prompted to confirm the change if the name is available
- You now have a custom Facebook URL www.facebook.com/yourcompany